Can’t get enough of the gyros at your favorite Greek restaurant? Why not prepare them yourself? You just need to follow our easy & delicious Chicken Gyros Recipe.
Chicken gyros made with herb-marinated chicken, lemony cucumber salad, and creamy tzatziki sauce wrapped in soft pita bread are effortless to prepare on hectic weeknights. This simple meal will be a staple in your family’s weekly rotation.
Traditional Greek ingredients, such as yogurt, lemon, garlic, and oregano, are used to flavor and tenderize the chicken in a gyro marinade. When this is cooking, the smell is out of this world!
Let’s just get straight to the Greek Chicken Gyro Recipe!
Chicken Gyros Recipe
This gyro is for you if you’re a fan of Mediterranean cuisine. When it comes to Greek food, this is an excellent location to get started. You’ll be a fan for life after just one bite! Here’s the whole recipe:
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighS
- ½ large yellow onion, peeled
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 6-8 pita flatbreads
- 2 cups shredded romaine
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
For Tzatziki Sauce:
- 1 large cucumber, shredded
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
To make tzatziki sauce, mix together Greek yogurt, cucumber, dill, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper, and other ingredients to taste. Put in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Mix the ingredients for the marinade together well in a large bowl.
Pinch the chicken thighs together with a meat mallet, rolling pin, or heavy pan to a thickness of 12 inches (1 cm) on a cutting board covered with plastic wrap.
Stir the chicken thighs and marinade thoroughly in a separate big bowl or gallon-sized plastic bag.
Keep it in the fridge for at least an hour and up to one day for the best taste. Discard the marinade that was used to marinate the chicken.
Prepare the grill with medium heat. Add chicken to the grill and cook, regularly flipping, for approximately 8 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
To serve, grill pitas for approximately one to two minutes per side. Fill a loaf of pita bread with chicken slices. Onions, tomatoes, and tzatziki sauce go on top.
Now enjoy the tasty Greek Chicken Gyros with your family or friends!
Expert Tips You Can Follow:
- Consider marinating the chicken for 2 to 3 hours for juicier meat (or overnight). Leave out the vinegar and mustard; substitute Mediterranean seasoning for Italian if you have it.
- Grill the chicken breasts for 6-10 minutes per side, depending on thickness if you want the taste of grilled chicken.
- The chicken can be refrigerated for up to three days or frozen for up to three months in an airtight container or Ziplock bag. The chicken can be thawed or warmed up in the microwave for one minute at a time until it is just warm.
What to Serve with Greek Chicken Gyros?
These chicken gyros are, in and of themselves, a complete dinner. Instead of topping your gyros with sliced vegetables, try this homemade salsa with a Mediterranean flavor. You may also include a fresh salad to begin the meal.
You can even enjoy them with Traditional Greek Salad, Watermelon Salad, Mediterranean Couscous Salad, and Grilled Zucchini Salad.
This was a tasty & easy to make Chicken Gyro Recipe. You can quickly make the chicken gyros if you have already made Tzatziki sauce and you have marinated chicken. Then, in just a few minutes & your chicken gyros will be ready.
We hope this article was helpful & informative. Please leave your valuable thoughts & suggestions in the comments below!
Thank you for reading!